Thursday, June 27, 2013

The Evolution of my Undying Love for Tegan and Sara

HEY!

Guys. There are TWO BLOGS today. I'm freakin out. Two of them. This is mostly due to the fact that my project at work this week has been to alphabetize and organize files. So I've had a whole lot of time to think up interesting things to write about!

Here's something we haven't done lately

Quote Of The Day! (obviously from the depths of my filing) "D...da..still aaaa...more a's..Da OH De...good de de de de de de de DI! diiiii. i. iiiiiii. dib. dic...dick...DICK lolololololololol I'm a fourteen year old boy...dick"

I may or may not have lost my mind.

Anyway, filing was super great. No joke, I love organizing stuff and it wasn't bad to work alone for a few days. Another perk of filing is that I got to listen to music all day long! You can probably guess by the title where this is going.

The Evolution of my Undying Love for Tegan and Sara.

Part I: Humble Beginnings. 
Early sophomore year of college, I was just starting to face up to the fact that maybe I was sort of kind of into girls. My roommate introduced me to afterellen.com, a wonderful pop culture site for gay ladies. As a was perusing the various articles and conversation threads I kept coming across the band Tegan and Sara. So I googled them and found this:



Inner monologue: "Well...I'm definitely gay." 


Part 2: Youtube Stalking 
Lesbihonest. You can't look at that picture and then not look them up on youtube. What I found did not disappoint. When they started giving concerts, they didn't have enough material to fill a set. So they incorporated adorable witty banter. And it stuck. Let me tell you, it's a treat. They are so smart, and witty, and funny. Sara does book reviews. I mean come on. What began as an innocent google pretty quickly grew to the initial flames of fan-girl-dom. 

Part 3: Music.
I'm not going to lie to you. This is kindof hard for me to write. But when I first listened to their music, I was like, "what is this? Their voices sound like dying puppies." But God, I just really love them. This put me in a real moral pickle of trying to rationalize how to be a Tegan and Sara fan without actually liking their music. But fear not. I resolved it. 

Part 4: Acoustic 19. 
I grappled for weeks with the fact that I was pseudo objectifying these artists by crushing so hard on them but dismissing their music. As an artist myself I felt particularly guilty. Then it happened. One of my friends posted the following link to facebook:

 

I was neck deep into my Mumford phase at the time and this just struck a chord (pun) with me. I love this song and I totally connected to it and I may or may not have had like a super happy cry in my bed whilst listening to it. 

Anyway. 

This lead to my googling acoustic versions of all their songs. I fell in love with the lyrics and artistry of everything I listened to. With time, their regular, un-acoustic sound became more appealing. 

The obsession was justified. And this is where things get good. 

Part 5: Things Get Good.
As previously mentioned, my dear friend Sara has all of Tegan and Sara's music. And she is the greatest person ever because she shared it with me. The library helped out here too. There was a tiny moment of bad feelings for not actually paying for their music, but I am college poor. When I have money, I will actually see them in concert, purchase their albums, and support their art. 

Part 6: Running. 
So this summer I was jobless for like a month. Which if you read my previous blogs, mostly consisted of me running and biking. Guess what became my new running song? The Con. The whole album. In love. I could relate to all of their songs and never got tired of listening to them. I listened to it today. While filing. Rocked out pretty hard.

Part 7: The Con.
So take a tiny hop backwards chronologically. When I got The Con album from the library it came with an extra disk. A disk containing "The Con, The Documentary." Hold. The. Phone. This has combined so many of my favorite things into one shiny dvd. 

Documentary, Check
Music, Check
Witty Banter, Check
Trivia, Check
Their adorableness for 2 hours. Check

Need I say more?

Part 8: The Soon to be Viewed Documentary "Get Along."
That's right. They made another documentary. And I will find it. And I will watch it. Probably ten to fifteen times. Maybe within the same 24 hours. Whose to say. 





No comments:

Post a Comment