Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Hello Friends,

This week has kicked the crap out of me. I started my summer camp job (more on that later) and teched/opened CATS (the subject of this blog). This resulted in a serious lack of sleep that manifested itself in a 12 hour hibernation ending around noon today. It was glorious. Basically what I'm saying is, I let a week lapse in blogging. And that's ^ why.

So CATS.

Not my favorite show. Not even a show I liked. Until now.

The reasons to not enjoy Cats are pretty clear. Real simple, almost non-existent, plot, confusing metaphors you didn't really pick up on when you saw the movie, "JELLICLE SONGS FOR JELLICLE CATS, JELLICLE SONGS, JELLICLE DANCE, JELLICLES CAN, JELLICLE, JELLICLE, JELLICLE, JELLICLE" *punches Andrew Lloyed Webber in the face...then asks what the hell jellicle even means*

Jellicle = Jolly Old (cat) with an old man British accent. Way to be T.S. (We're on a first name basis).

Less obvious are the reasons to love CATS. Which I have posted in list form:

1. The Crazy Cat People. This show has the greatest fan base of any musical. Dare I say, they have exceeded the Rocky Horror level of cult. Don't believe me? Google "Cats the musical" and see what happens. Actually I'll save you the trouble: http://goldenjellicles.gotop100.com/. These are people that rent the costumes just to cat around their houses. And do makeup demos. And write thousands of character descriptions. I am proud to be part of a musical that so many crazy  And come to the shows and hiss at us. Which is awesome.

2. Subtext. I don't know who came up with it, but it's awesome. Performing has the feeling of being in on a really good secret. Like halfway through the Jellicle Ball (sex romp) I lose my virginity. Upside-down in the splits mind you. And how Macavity has slept with pretty much all the lady cats. His sexuality basically motivates the show. It's great. There are Cat families and relationships. And the audience is clueless.

3. The Characters. I picture T.S. writing this show surrounded by at least 40 Cats. All with unique personalities. Pardon my getting sentimental, but I love that this guy wrote poems with so much specificity.

4. Makeup. We look like cats. And it freaks me out. I can't think of too many live shows that have makeup this extensive. I seriously think I can make a career out of kids face painting now. And it's fun to wear. In a gross way. An accurate simulation of the feeling can probably be achieved by covering your face is Vaseline, dunking your head into a vat of baking flour, and having someone hose you down. Then run a half marathon.

5. Cardio. We're offstage for a grand total of 10 minutes. If that. And I'm convinced we spend at least 50% of the time in high kicks. This creates the illusion that you can eat whatever you want. Lies, we wear unitards.

6. If you're not moving like a stripper, you're doing it wrong.


 With that, I will let you know that I never posted this in June when I started it. It's now August 14th. Soooo this is not current. But I'm posting anyway.

Awkward 3 month late Peace Out,

Kaitlyn 







No comments:

Post a Comment